Sunday, March 7, 2010

Confirmation

As most of you know...I am still going through times of abstinence and prayerful studies this Lenten season. I don't post every study I come across, but this one is particularly worth mentioning. The completion of Baptism, the sacrament of Confirmation.

Tradition describes confirmation as the "seal" of the Holy Spirit. In the ancient world, to bear someone's seal, or wear it, was to be identified as with that person, to be known as that person's child or servant. Confirmation marks us as God's own children. It confers a certain maturity upon us and empowers us to witness to the faith, defend the faith, and live responsibly within the Church. All these deeds are graces from God, and they do not depend upon our individual strengths or skills. Some western dioceses delay the sacrament until high-school matriculation or graduation, emphasizing that it is a sign of maturity, of coming into one's own in the Church. The Church teaches that confirmation, no matter when we receive it, "completes" our baptism. - Scott Hahn

Confirmation in the Bible:
They laid their hands upon them and they received the Holy Spirit. (Acts 8:14-17)
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me (Is 61:1)
And when Paul laid (his) hands on them, the holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:6)

Effects of Confirmation:
Gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, piety, fortitude, and fear of the Lord
Fruits of the Holy Spirit: charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, and chastity.

The Protestant Reformers, influenced by their rejection of all that could not be clearly proved from Scripture and by their doctrine of justification by faith only, refused to admit that confirmation was a sacrament (Luther, De Capt. Babyl., VII, p. 501).

I reflect back on my own Confirmation which is equally as big a deal as Baptism, since it completes it. My Godmother and Grandmother Joy (RIP) was my confirmation sponsor. But living states away she couldn't be there and had to have a proxy stand in for her, my mother. Sponsors, Proxies or Godparents must be Confirmed Catholics. (Which is why my mom was the only available Godmother for my girls, being the only nearby female Confirmed Catholic in the family. She will also be Godmother for our new addition.) There was a huge ceremony with my class (church group). We held candles and received the seal by the Bishop. We were then adults in the church ready to be soldiers for Christ to defend the faith. (2 Tim 2:3) I remember knowing the importance and receiving the fullness of the gifts and fruits. A good feeling. From that point on when the Devil came knocking, I was not a child in my faith but an adult. Stronger, more fortified. But I needed to learn to yield these gifts and that would not come for many more years. I had my sword (the graces), but I needed training. Still always training to fight the good fight. Lent is like boot camp, lol. And it never ceases to amaze me how all the sacraments tie into each other, you can hardly talk about one without mentioning some of the others.
Have you ever prayed to the Holy Spirit? He's the third person in the trinity, not just some kind of tool or instrument God uses. If you want to pray for His gifts and fruits, it is the Holy Spirit you should ask. The Holy Spirit is in charge of giving us wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, etc. When you want to know His Truth, you should pray to the Holy Spirit and ask to receive it. (John 14:16-17, 26)

A verse I found and liked and very much related to the gifts/fruits of the spirit that enable us:
2 Tim 2:24 A slave of the Lord should not quarrel, but should be gentle with everyone, able to teach, tolerant, 25 correcting opponents with kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment