Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Being Biblical

One of the greatest things I've learned from a good friend and relative is: Where's that in the Bible? While I truly am not a Bible only Christian... I do believe that more Catholics need to be more Biblical.

I can recall a sad high school memory... I had a bunch of Christian friends that I would eat lunch with and junior year we were adding some non-christians to our group. They didn't want to join by reason of being told they 'were going to hell' or not understanding all our 'Bible talk'. But they were comforted by the fact that we agreed not to be like that. So on our first lunch with them, my friends starting listing different verses. I looked to my friend and said..."you know I really don't have a clue what all these verses say" and she replied "niether do we, we're just picking on them in good spirits." Then finally someone said John 3:16 and finally we all knew at least what that one was "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life." It was immature/funny at the time and our new friends had a dark sense of humor about it. But looking back How Sad that we didn't know our Scriptures!
CCC Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.112

We were ignorant. Catholics, non-Catholics alike...a bunch of high school teens without knowledge. No one taught us, no one instilled the yearning to know it either. The neglect of religious education is even worst. Where were our spiritual leaders? Two of us at least in the group had taken RE or CCD classes at our parish and still walked away ignorant of scriptures. Both of us being great students.

Parents, Teachers, Catholic leaders....PLEASE Teach a love of Scripture as much as you do the love of the Church. Don't be scared. Catholicism is extremely biblical. And teach us how to explain the hope that we have within us.(I Peter 3:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment